Letter of Introduction


Dear Prof Brad,

This letter of introduction serves as an overview of who I am and my goals that I would love to achieve throughout this module. My name is Muhammad Nur Firdaus Bin Rostam. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a Diploma in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. After going through the rigorous training during my time in the Singapore Civil Defence Force, I applied myself to be a student in Singapore Institution of Technology. Currently, I am in my first year taking a Degree in Mechanical Engineering. I hope to broaden my knowledge about engineering and also improve my skills once I graduate from this course in 2021.

I have quite a number of hobbies that includes playing football, travelling and a cycling. These hobbies have contributed to the development of my communication and analytical skills, as travelling allows me to interact with people from various countries and backgrounds while playing football allows me to think of strategic formation and playing style to defeat the opposition team. My passion for engineering grew through being a cycling enthusiast. Besides than enjoying cycling, I also do freelance bike maintenance for my friends and family. My interest in getting to know the mechanism of the bike increase my interest to improve my knowledge in the engineering section. Thus, I choose a Degree in Mechanical Engineering as a platform to improve my knowledge and skills.

What I would like to achieve in this module is to improve my presentation skills in front of a huge crowd. I have the tendency to talk Singlish and have a hard time organising my words during my presentation. I hope I can speak good English so that I can look more professional and also improve my word organisation. I believe with the help of your guidance and assistance, this module will allow me to sharpen my communication skills to a huge crowd.

Best Regards,

Firdaus Rostam

Edited on 23/1/2020

Comments

  1. Dear Firdaus,

    Thank you very much for being one of the first students in Group 1 to post your letter. It is both informative and personalized as you share details about your NS experience, your multiple hobbies and your comm skills experience. You also address with good specificity your module goals. While I see a comments about your weakess in comm, you might be able to more explicitly discuss your comm strengths.

    There are a few minor issues in terms of language use:

    1. Phrasing
    -- I hope to broaden my knowledge about engineering and also improve my skills once I graduate from this course. > (time sequence?)
    -- hobbies that includes playing football, travelling and a cycling enthusiast. > (subject-verb agreement & parallelism)
    -- my communication and analytical skill, > (plurality?)
    -- from various countries and background > (plurality?)
    -- Besides than enjoying cycling as a sport, > ?

    2. capitalization
    -- I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a Diploma in Electrical and Electronics Engineering. BUT
    taking a degree in mechanical engineering. > ( consistency?)
    -- to talk singlish
    -- Best Regards, > ?

    3. verb tense
    -- My interest in getting to know the mechanism of the bike arouse my interest > ?
    -- Thus, I choose mechanical engineering as a platform where I can improve my knowledge and skills.

    I appreciate your effort and look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prof for the information. I will make the amendments.

      Delete
  2. Dear Firdaus,

    Firstly, thank you for sharing and introducing yourself to me.

    1) What do you mean by "broaden your knowledge"?
    2) What makes you decide to pursue engineering in degree?

    Thank you and looking forward to work with you.

    Regards,

    Fadzly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Firdaus,

      Regarding the content for your letter. You met what is required for the letter.

      1) Maybe you can elaborate your passion further? e.g your passion for cycling and how you relate it to engineering
      2) Any other weakness and future improvements you intend to achieve by the end of this course?

      Thank you and I am sure we have a lot of cycling matters to talk about.

      Cheers,
      Hilmi

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

First Draft Summary : Where's my supersuit?

Critical Reflection